Shopping online for Valentine’s Day gifts can be quick and easy but it is important to take the time to make sure your personal and banking information is kept safe. Kaspersky Labs has some helpful tips for ensuring safe and convenient online shopping:
- In case you’re planning to shower that someone with gifts, designate a credit card for online purchases, and only use that card…it’s easier to keep track any problems if all the charges are on the same account.
- Watch out for those Valentine’s Day promos—visit websites by going directly to the site, rather than clicking on outside links sent in emails or social networks…the sites those promo links take you to might not be legitimate.
- Going off the map for a gift idea? Read reviews about the store you plan to use; search “(name of store) fraud”
- Remember that banks will never ask for your personal information through an email
- Pay attention to the site’s URL–if it looks suspicious, don’t use it
- Look for a URL that begins with “https”…the “s” after the familiar http means the site is secure
- Avoid online shopping and banking while using public wireless networks, like the free network inside Starbucks
- Make sure your antivirus software is updated
Happy Valentine’s Day!